Chrees' world

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Calpine

I fully expected to feel schadenfreude from Calpine’s recent shakeup and ongoing woes, but it feels more like a sense of relief. I interviewed with them when they were flying high, around six years ago I believe. I was frustrated with my job, my boss, and my company at the time and I saw a position that fit exactly what I wanted to do. I had worked in the oil and gas industry which, while not necessary, would provide a leg up on others. However, they wanted certain job experience that I did not have at the time.

Fortunately for me they passed on my application. Shortly after that I had a great opportunity within my company (ironically providing the very experience that would have helped me get the Calpine job). While not always rosy here, staying at the same company has given me much more than I could have gotten by changing jobs. Hence the relief in seeing Calpine’s woes—relief that I’m not facing what their employees must be going through.

In situations like this, top management tends to end up on their feet. I’m more concerned about the “little guys,” those at my level or lower, and the challenges they face. On top of my relief, it has added to my determination to set concrete goals and plans for financial security.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home