Disaster planning references
I mentioned in my goals for the next two months that I would create a disaster plan. Today I saw Boston Gal's Open Wallet post on Some Recent "Emergency" Planning. A few minutes of planning now can make all the difference when you need it.
The Los Angeles Fire Department has some good links at their Preparedness website, including checklists for preparedness and supplies. They also have a good Emergency Preparedness booklet. Earthquakes have a heavy focus in the booklet, but all of it is good to know.
One book I'll mention is The Personal Security Handbook by The Silver Lake Editors. The book covers many aspects of safety, from home security to travel tips to disaster planning. They offer a good four-step plan:
1) Assess the dangers you actually face,
2) Minimize the risks,
3) Prepare for risks you can not avoid, and
4) How to keep cool under pressure.
Doing the first three steps makes the fourth one a lot easier. While much of this is common sense, the tips and comments do not take anything for granted. My wife, looking at some of the booklets I printed out, remarked she wasn't 100% certain where to turn off all the utilities. It took only two minutes to show her and she feels a lot more confident in case anything happens.
Feel free to pass on any other links or books you have used and recommend and I'll be happy to post about them.
The Los Angeles Fire Department has some good links at their Preparedness website, including checklists for preparedness and supplies. They also have a good Emergency Preparedness booklet. Earthquakes have a heavy focus in the booklet, but all of it is good to know.
One book I'll mention is The Personal Security Handbook by The Silver Lake Editors. The book covers many aspects of safety, from home security to travel tips to disaster planning. They offer a good four-step plan:
1) Assess the dangers you actually face,
2) Minimize the risks,
3) Prepare for risks you can not avoid, and
4) How to keep cool under pressure.
Doing the first three steps makes the fourth one a lot easier. While much of this is common sense, the tips and comments do not take anything for granted. My wife, looking at some of the booklets I printed out, remarked she wasn't 100% certain where to turn off all the utilities. It took only two minutes to show her and she feels a lot more confident in case anything happens.
Feel free to pass on any other links or books you have used and recommend and I'll be happy to post about them.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home