Chrees' world

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Interview warning signs

I usually see articles on bad interview answers given by an applicant, but rarely do I see anything on bad interviewers and what that means for the applicant. Today’s Wall Street Journal has a good article on warning signs to look for in a new boss.

The article hit very close to home for me—at one job interview I had to wait for over an hour before my future manager saw me, plus he and his boss appeared frazzled and distracted when they did see me. In their defense, they had just received funding from a stock offering and were moving around a large amount of money. However, it was a true taste of how things would be once I started there: an overwhelming amount of work always due in a short timeframe. Everything seemed to be managed as if it were an emergency.

Here is a paraphrase of the article’s warning signs to look for in your potential boss during a job interview, along with a few comments:
1) He is easily distracted, late to the interview, or postpones it several times. This position probably isn’t high on his priority list.
2) There is poor interaction between you and the interviewer. This one is difficult as a predictor of future interaction because of the very formal nature of the interview. But sometimes you just know that you will not ‘click.’
3) The hiring manager only talks about her accomplishments, never crediting anyone else. Don’t expect that to change if you’re hired, and your accomplishments will probably go unnoticed or uncredited.
4) Negative feedback from the hiring manager’s peers or colleagues. I’ll add to make sure and check on the company’s reputation as well if it is a new industry for you.
5) The interviewer does not talk much about the job, the company, or your skills. He may just be a bad interviewer. But beware of lack of commitment to the position, or of intrusive personal questions.
6) The hiring manager is extremely stressed out. Is she having a bad day, or is she a bad manager?

Regarding my bad interview experience, I accepted the job at the company because it was in a new area of work that I wanted to pursue, plus there was good chemistry between me and my immediate supervisor. However, he left the company six weeks after I started. My replacement boss was a nightmare and the “management by emergency” atmosphere never changed. Trust your gut and pay attention to the warning signs. It isn’t just an interview of you, but your chance to make sure you will enjoy the new position.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home