What the...
I have had way too many "what the ..." moments this month. The biggest headache has been dealing with the escrow department of my mortgage company. I'll save that soap opera for when it is actually resolved.
But today's moment was brought to me courtesy of my 401K. I have a simple spreadsheet that tracks the value of my investments, and I happened to update it yesterday after the market closed. This morning I logged on to the company that administers my 401K plan and some of the fund totals are 5% lower than my spreadsheet. I drill down and see that some of the values of the funds are significantly down from yesterday's close, so they must have done their distributions. However the number of shares were not adjusted to relect the reinvestment.
Fortunately it is an easy calculation to see what the number of shares should be post-disribution, so I will be checking again tomorrow to make sure the values are where they should be. I wanted to pass this on in case anyone else sees the same thing in their plans--don't panic. Or as I said on another weblog, trust but verify.
But today's moment was brought to me courtesy of my 401K. I have a simple spreadsheet that tracks the value of my investments, and I happened to update it yesterday after the market closed. This morning I logged on to the company that administers my 401K plan and some of the fund totals are 5% lower than my spreadsheet. I drill down and see that some of the values of the funds are significantly down from yesterday's close, so they must have done their distributions. However the number of shares were not adjusted to relect the reinvestment.
Fortunately it is an easy calculation to see what the number of shares should be post-disribution, so I will be checking again tomorrow to make sure the values are where they should be. I wanted to pass this on in case anyone else sees the same thing in their plans--don't panic. Or as I said on another weblog, trust but verify.

1 Comments:
Concerning escrow accounts. When my wife and I purchased our home, we made the mistake of signing up for the escrow account. If you know how to manage your money, don't sign-up for this. Trying to get out of it was impossible without refinancing into another loan.
Neo
By
vr6trd, at 2:54 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home