Another bleg (somewhere in the post)
There was a good roundtable discussion in yesterday’s Wall Street Journal discussing corporate social responsibility (CSR). It went into more detail than my post here. The comment that captures my feelings the best was from Fred Smith Jr., founder and president of Competitive Enterprise Institute. “Unfortunately, the CSR approach seeks generally to appease its critics, to apologize for past mistakes, to bribe its opponents. CSR as enlightened self-interest, yes. CSR as appeasement, no.” More succinct than I could have ever put it.
I completely forgot yesterday was Howard Stern’s first day on Sirius. I listened to a free lecture The Teaching Company had sent me for evaluation instead. But I caught the start of yesterday’s show on the replay last night. The best part was the addition of George Takei (Sulu from the original Star Trek series) as an announcer. I tuned in this morning to see what it would be like and forgot I would not be listening to the west coast delay, but the ‘live’ show. So it was almost over—they were doing the news, the least interesting part of the show for me. While not a Stern fan, I think he does very good interviews. Unfortunately, I’ll only be able to listen during my commute and the timing doesn’t look good to catch any guests. Oh well, back to Bloomberg radio and the classic radio programs I normally listen to. I’m happy my wife got me satellite radio regardless if I catch Stern or not.
OK, another question for everyone. I constantly run across articles on a wide range of topics with information I would like to keep. For examples, the topics may include great places to stay when visiting a particular island or resource guides for people wanting to get a teacher’s certificate. I would love to keep this information handy, but it may be some time before I’ll need it. I’ve tried several different systems--from simply clipping the article, to notes on my PDA (which I really don’t use anymore), to writing down the information in a notebook. Nothing really seems to capture a handy way to organize, retain, and make available the information I want. Do you have an organization system for retaining information that you may use later?
I completely forgot yesterday was Howard Stern’s first day on Sirius. I listened to a free lecture The Teaching Company had sent me for evaluation instead. But I caught the start of yesterday’s show on the replay last night. The best part was the addition of George Takei (Sulu from the original Star Trek series) as an announcer. I tuned in this morning to see what it would be like and forgot I would not be listening to the west coast delay, but the ‘live’ show. So it was almost over—they were doing the news, the least interesting part of the show for me. While not a Stern fan, I think he does very good interviews. Unfortunately, I’ll only be able to listen during my commute and the timing doesn’t look good to catch any guests. Oh well, back to Bloomberg radio and the classic radio programs I normally listen to. I’m happy my wife got me satellite radio regardless if I catch Stern or not.
OK, another question for everyone. I constantly run across articles on a wide range of topics with information I would like to keep. For examples, the topics may include great places to stay when visiting a particular island or resource guides for people wanting to get a teacher’s certificate. I would love to keep this information handy, but it may be some time before I’ll need it. I’ve tried several different systems--from simply clipping the article, to notes on my PDA (which I really don’t use anymore), to writing down the information in a notebook. Nothing really seems to capture a handy way to organize, retain, and make available the information I want. Do you have an organization system for retaining information that you may use later?

2 Comments:
Chrees,
My super sophisticated system for organizing info I want to find later is. . . . a file cabinet! For example, I have a file for "home improvements--past" that includes receipts, contractor invoices, lists of paint colors used, etc. But I also have a file for "home improvements--potential" with all those nifty tips from the free This Old House subscription I got last year, names of local contractors people have recommended to me, etc.
The problem? I'm about a year behind on my filing at any point. At the moment I have no less than three piles of stuff waiting to be filed.
So, no, I don't really have a workable solution. Just an idealistic one.
By
Tiredbuthappy, at 6:22 PM
Some people simply use their personal blog or website which is searchable. You just blog it and forget about it. The problem with this is if you develop a readership, you feel obligated to add good content.
Excel files work well with data but if you're referring to url's, I think a website would be better. Just don't tell anyone that it's anything but a databank.
By
Splat, at 2:16 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home