Chrees' world

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Jinx

Who says investing can’t be fun?
The second week before Christmas $2,993 Loss
The week before Christmas $9,993 Gain (partially due to stock options vesting)
Between Christmas and New Years $4,060 Loss
First week of 2006 $6,127 Gain
Two days of this week $2,031 Gain

So in the past month I’m up $11,000, but not quite in a straight line. Or even close. Every day so far this year has been an up day (in total) for me, but I know I just jinxed that. Expect huge losses today! (And from what I'm seeing so far today, we're talking massive)

This article is from a couple of weeks ago, but I missed it. Scotts Miracle-Gro Co., the lawn and garden products company, is asking their workers to quite smoking or leave. The article doesn’t say it, but I heard on a news report Tuesday, that this includes their spouses as well. Interesting to see what they are providing to help their employees, as well as what they are requiring.

I’ve seen several other personal finance bloggers looking at their taxes already. I’ll refer you to this post which has links to the top three tax preparation software companies. These sites have various levels of online help available as well, both for customers and non-customers.

And an update on an earlier story. When we last left this soap opera, Boston Scientific (BSX) had made a bid for Guidant (GDT) after Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) had reduced their offer to buy GDT. BSX has since done their due diligence and formalized their offer. BSX provided some price collars to protect GDT in case BSX’s stock price changes dramatically. In addition, BSX has already lined up a buyer of certain GDT product lines which they would need to divest in order to meet antitrust regulations.

GDT’s board supposedly met Tuesday. If they contact JNJ, saying they believe that BSX offer is superior, JNJ has five days to up their offer or walk away. If JNJ walks, they receive $625 million of good faith fees. GDT has ‘given’ JNJ a face-saving excuse to up their price, releasing Q4 revenue estimates that are higher than had been expected. JNJ is reportedly looking at adding money to their deal. This reminds me of the M&A flurry during the ‘80s junkbond heyday. As I said before, stay tuned!

Update: the jinx worked. Down almost $2,500 on the day. Please note, my rates are reasonable if you would like to hire me to jinx anyone.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home