Breakin’ the law
I just got back from Palm Springs where there was a lot of work and fortunately a little play.
While I was on a business trip last year, one of our sales reps was fired. I was never told the reason, but I finally found out. You know it isn’t going to be pretty when you are told “Do an internet search on his name and the Department of Justice.”
There are so many guidelines in place now for what can and can not be done with doctors/accounts in the medical industry. In this rep’s case, he was in on a racket (before he joined our company) of selling or obtaining medical devices that would later be fraudulently resold. For several reasons, this was a federal offense. Not good…not good at all.
What surprised me the most was this rep had been completely aboveboard on everything he did with us and I saw several times where he did things for the good of the company that might hurt his commissions. It is a clear example of how a couple of lapses can land you in jail, cost you a lot of money, and effectively ruin your career.
While I was on a business trip last year, one of our sales reps was fired. I was never told the reason, but I finally found out. You know it isn’t going to be pretty when you are told “Do an internet search on his name and the Department of Justice.”
There are so many guidelines in place now for what can and can not be done with doctors/accounts in the medical industry. In this rep’s case, he was in on a racket (before he joined our company) of selling or obtaining medical devices that would later be fraudulently resold. For several reasons, this was a federal offense. Not good…not good at all.
What surprised me the most was this rep had been completely aboveboard on everything he did with us and I saw several times where he did things for the good of the company that might hurt his commissions. It is a clear example of how a couple of lapses can land you in jail, cost you a lot of money, and effectively ruin your career.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home