Collect, stockpile, accumulate, gather, hoard, build up
This article hit a little close to home on collections that people amass and what happens to them after the collector dies. The only thing I actively collect is wine, and my only concern as to what happens to it after I die is that either my heirs enjoy it or they get a fair price in reselling it.
I say ‘actively’ collect since stuff tends to accumulate at a rapid rate at my house and I need to be more diligent in just getting rid of the crap. Other things tend to build up as well, like books, which I should cull occasionally.
In one of the books I recommended earlier (Get it Together) has a good section on letting your heirs know what you want done with your collections, evaluating them, and recommending on how best to dispose of anything.
I’m fortunate that my parents don’t collect anything—I’d feel guilty of disposing of anything they would pass on. I am curious to hear of others’ experiences with handling collections passed on to them, or if they have some collection they want to pass on to others. So share your dark secret of Precious Moment figurines crowding the spare bedrooms…
I say ‘actively’ collect since stuff tends to accumulate at a rapid rate at my house and I need to be more diligent in just getting rid of the crap. Other things tend to build up as well, like books, which I should cull occasionally.
In one of the books I recommended earlier (Get it Together) has a good section on letting your heirs know what you want done with your collections, evaluating them, and recommending on how best to dispose of anything.
I’m fortunate that my parents don’t collect anything—I’d feel guilty of disposing of anything they would pass on. I am curious to hear of others’ experiences with handling collections passed on to them, or if they have some collection they want to pass on to others. So share your dark secret of Precious Moment figurines crowding the spare bedrooms…

3 Comments:
Collecting is passe? That makes me feel old at 35! It's WWII sweetheart memorabilia for me.
By
Anonymous, at 6:10 PM
WW II sweetheart memorabilia? I'm not familiar with that, but would love to find out more!
By
Dwight, at 9:48 PM
I have a four-generation stamp collection. When I was a kid I spent hours working on it with my grandfather when he came to visit us for a month every year. I wouldn't want to get rid of it, but at some point I do need to select a caretaker from the next generation.
My personal collecting interest? Artist's books and miniature books (under 3 inches). I also collect tiny bowls. Hopefully when I'm dead the book collections will be donated to some library. The tiny bowls can be sold at a yard sale. I don't care.
By
Tiredbuthappy, at 4:32 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home