The Folk Den project
Most 2-year olds love music, but ours LOVES music. He always wants us to sing while he’s in the bath (proving he doesn’t care how bad I sing), always asking me to play the piano for him (proving he doesn’t care how bad I play), etc. I’ve only seen him during one “circle time,” where moms and their kids sit in a circle and sing songs, but the joy in his face was priceless. I just found out about a new CD set from Roger McGuinn, formerly of The Byrds, and I’m hoping he’ll like that as well. Here’s a description of the project:
If you think your kids would be interested, check out Roger McGuinn’s homepage. In addition to the CD set, there are MP3s, notes—lots of stuff to explore.
In November of 1995 I began a project for the preservation of the music I love, Folk Music. Each month I would record a song, print the lyrics and chords, add a personal note and put it on my web site, mcguinn.com. I wanted everyone to have the opportunity to learn the songs and to be able to sing them with their families and friends, so downloads were offered free of charge. The original recordings were 11 KHz 8-bit . monophonic WAV files, far below CD quality. I have re-recorded those songs in 24-bit 44.1 KHz Stereo. To commemorate the 10 year anniversary of the FOLK DEN, this compilation contains 100 of my favorite songs from the project with many of the original notes.
If you think your kids would be interested, check out Roger McGuinn’s homepage. In addition to the CD set, there are MP3s, notes—lots of stuff to explore.

2 Comments:
Check out Dan Zanes, too, if you want some music that's good for kids and parents, too. He used to be the lead singer of the Del Fuegos if you know who they are.
By
Anonymous, at 11:01 AM
Yep, saw them in the mid-80s in Dallas and enjoyed them greatly. Thanks!
By
Dwight, at 11:25 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home