I'm holding out for the toaster
Yesterday I went inside the bank closest to me at work. Normally I avoid going inside and do all transactions through ATMs or online, but I was depositing cash from furniture sales and I wanted to make sure that a person handled and verified the amount.
The first thing I notice is that the teller area is now ‘glassed’ in—not a warm personal touch for the bank, but I’d feel better if I were a teller and worked behind something bullet-proof. After punching in my account number, the teller asks me “Are you aware that our certificates of deposit are paying over 4%?” I mumble something about picking up a brochure on the way out.
So where did question come from? All I can figure is that I transferred $4,000 from the bank to ING for a month. That money was earmarked to pay my property tax installment, which wasn’t due for a month. Might as well earn a little more interest on it in the meantime. I’m guessing the money in and out of ING was flagged by the system with a note for the teller to relay to me. Good marketing, but still a little creepy that they are analyzing my account that way.
The first thing I notice is that the teller area is now ‘glassed’ in—not a warm personal touch for the bank, but I’d feel better if I were a teller and worked behind something bullet-proof. After punching in my account number, the teller asks me “Are you aware that our certificates of deposit are paying over 4%?” I mumble something about picking up a brochure on the way out.
So where did question come from? All I can figure is that I transferred $4,000 from the bank to ING for a month. That money was earmarked to pay my property tax installment, which wasn’t due for a month. Might as well earn a little more interest on it in the meantime. I’m guessing the money in and out of ING was flagged by the system with a note for the teller to relay to me. Good marketing, but still a little creepy that they are analyzing my account that way.

1 Comments:
It very well could be that you actually just ran into a very well trained teller. The tellers at the institution that I work at are trained to notice transfers like that and try and find a service that might hold that money in house. Getting them to do it is another thing sometimes, but the teller you ran into might just be doing something similar.
By
Anonymous, at 9:37 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home