Chrees' world

Monday, March 20, 2006

Rediscovering the Renaissance

I just found out about the The I Tatti Renaissance Library which

aims to make available to a broad readership the most significant literary, historical, and philosophical works of the Italian Renaissance written in Latin. The Latin works of Italian humanists and thinkers from Petrarch to Giordano Bruno constitute a major literary tradition, but one that has become a kind of Atlantis or lost continent, sunken between the two great continents of classical literature and the modern vernacular literatures.

Having taken some classes on the Renaissance and read a bit more, I’m excited in finding out about this series (late as usual, but still glad). The scheming, twists and turns of Renaissance history makes modern soap operas appear tame by comparison. The website linked above has some essays, excerpts, and useful links. From my limited exposure of it, highly recommended.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home