Book discussion?
I’m interested in seeing if there are others in the personal finance blogworld interested in occasionally discussing non-finance books. Not that we’ll challenge Oprah, but we can have something like the PFBlog Book Club, or something better named. I’ve moderated book club discussion before, and I certainly don’t mind doing so again.
The drawback to doing this on a blog is the lack of real-time interaction. The advantage is that you don’t have to work it into your schedule—you can participate whenever you have time. Post a reply if you’re interested and I’ll be happy to get to work on this.
The drawback to doing this on a blog is the lack of real-time interaction. The advantage is that you don’t have to work it into your schedule—you can participate whenever you have time. Post a reply if you’re interested and I’ll be happy to get to work on this.

7 Comments:
Well, as you know, I'm even more of a book nerd than a PF nerd. I'm tentatively interested, altho I don't think I'd have the brainpower at the end of the day to read the kind of dense stuff you favor. If you're willing to make it more contemporary intellectual stuff, I'd be game. I read enough greek dramatists in college tho, so you're on your own for the really ancient literature.
What did you have in mind? I'm reading the newest Harry Potter at the moment, but I doubt you'd want to discuss that. :)
By
Tiredbuthappy, at 5:59 PM
I'm not really into contemporary stuff, but there are exceptions. There are a lot of late 19th and 20th century authors I've never read that I would love sample--Evelyn Waugh, Balzac, PG Wodehouse, and many others. I've had Brideshead Revisited on my nightstand for a while, but just haven't gotten to. Among about another dozen books.
I don't plan on inflicting the Greek tragedies on others, although I am enjoying it.
By
Dwight, at 9:02 AM
I think it's a great idea, though admittedly I'd likely end up being more of an observer than a participant. With class going on, I find I have less time for reading for pleasure. (Of course if I cut down on my PF blog reading...)
A blogger once posted a question asking readers what non-PF books they were reading, and I found the answers fascinating. I think a non-PF book club would probably hold the same interest for me.
By
SMB, at 7:14 AM
I'd be interested, though I've always been afraid that I'd be a terrible book club reader because I am always reading so much for other things that I wouldn't keep up with the bookclub reading! But it's a neat idea-- maybe get the group to all read the book by a certain date and then post about it? Even if it's a non-PF book, discuss its money issues? Set up a separate blog or chat? Keep me posted on whatever you come up with!
By
Madame X, at 7:08 PM
Right now I'm reading Vanity Fair (Thackeray). It certainly has a lot about money issues, especially since the main characters seem to survive solely on credit. There's a chapter titled, "How to live well on nothing a year."
By
Phoebe, at 11:07 AM
How does everyone feel about Vanity Fair? Inagm, hope you don't mind me stealing that title.
If that title is good, I'll post a schedule of reading in the next couple of days. I'll give everyone a week to get the book, then lay out a timetable of discussion chapters.
By
Dwight, at 1:39 PM
I wish I had the time or motivation to do this. I do read non-fiction travel books in my free time, but I don't think I can handle anything more rigorous than that.
By
Anonymous, at 8:40 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home