Chrees' world

Monday, April 17, 2006

Reading group suggestion

inagm suggested Thackeray’s Vanity Fair as one possible reading group book, which I like for several reasons. Money holds a central place in the book, the book is full of satire (which I could use right now), and copies are either inexpensive or free (online). Plus we can add discussion on how the movie and the book differ if you'd like.

If a couple of people are up for this, I’ll pull together a schedule of discussion dates and post that soon. Thanks for the kind notes on my "thinking out loud" post on doing a reading group!

|

4 Comments:

  • Count me in. I might have time to swing by the main branch of the public library on my way to work tomorrow. They have a lot of classic literature in small paperback size. I've never read Thackeray.

    Okay, if you're not into Contemporary fiction, I'm still game, but I'd prefer that we keep our selections post 1750. All right?

    I read a lot of Wodehouse in high school and loved him. Haven't read any in years. Would revisit Wodehouse if you want. It's certainly light reading.

    Are you planning to set up another blog using Blogger? I think several of us could be co-bloggers on one blog.

    By Blogger Tiredbuthappy, at 5:02 PM  

  • Well, there are a couple of interested people now (here and at the other post), so I think we'll do it.

    Starting another blog is a great idea and we can reference it from those that are reading the books. We can add people that are interested in contributing to the co-host level. I know not everyone will have a chance to contribute for every book, but with a few core people we can cover several good books during the year. And hopefully leave a good reference for people that won't to come back and read a few of the books after we discuss them.

    By Blogger Dwight, at 8:59 PM  

  • Sure, I'm in!

    By Blogger Britt, at 9:25 PM  

  • well I have to join now, I feel so special and influential (and late in checking up on your blog - sorry!)

    By Blogger Phoebe, at 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home