What do women want in a man?
In the past, surveys have overwhelmingly shown that women want a rich man, and men want a good-looking woman. While not much has changed for men, as women's financial independence has increased, it seems that their preferences have changed.
Fhionna Moore and colleagues at the University of St Andrews, UK, analysed questionnaires from 1851 heterosexual women between the ages of 18 and 35. They found that as a woman's level of "resource control" increases - in other words as they become more financially independent - so does their preference for physical attractiveness in potential partners. Women who had low levels of control over their cash rated the financial status of a man over his looks. Those with a decent source of income rated physical attractiveness more highly.
Expressing relief are guys that are rich and good looking. It probably helps for the guys that aren't listed here, as well.
Anyway, I'll let you discuss whether or not you find this to be true, from your experience or what you've seen from others.

4 Comments:
That's hilarious! When I saw the headline on pfblogs.org I was thinking to myself - "What the heck does this have to do with personal finances??"
Now I know.
Of course, it just reinforces the stereotypes of people like Donald Trump (ugly but rich) dating young, beautiful women and ladies characterized by Kanye West's song Golddiggers.
By
Anonymous, at 2:09 PM
With that headline, my first thought was on the shortest movie review I've heard. From Lewis Black on "The Daily Show":
"Next movie--'What Women Want.' Who cares? Next movie..."
Hey, I'm just the reporter here...
By
Dwight, at 3:14 PM
My wife was looking for a good looking man who had money, the rest is history! ;-)
By
Anonymous, at 3:27 PM
I've been reading The Second Shift by Hochschild. She talks about a process where hetero women determine their own marketability, basically. Women assess their own perceived attractiveness, their level of education, etc, and then decide what type of man they can reasonably expect to partner with. Women who had a high level of education and earning potential expected men to accomodate their (the women's) careers, and to participate more in the unpaid work of running the home, raising the kids, etc.
The book is a little dated, but very interesting. Makes me glad I'm not a 1980s career woman.
By
Tiredbuthappy, at 6:23 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home