Milestones
A few May Day tidbits for recent milestones and happenings:
Happy 90th birthday to Bernard Lewis! Fouad Ajami has a personal tribute to the prescient sage and writer. While I’ve only read a couple of Lewis’ books, they are essential in understanding much of what is happening in today’s news.
John Kenneth Galbraith died this weekend. A good summary of his contributions can be found here. I won’t speak ill of the dead, but I will of his ideas. The U.S. is still trying to recover from his agreement with Keynes' 19th-century idea that the government is responsible for overall economic performance, with the government able to remedy poor corporate results. Thanks for giving us the 1970’s. Not to mention being completely wrong on the USSR economy. Unfortunately he wasn't alone on any of those counts.
Jean-Francois Revel also died this weekend. Again, I’ve only read a little of his work but was impressed with his measured analysis and response on matters, especially his support of liberal economics. More about him can be found here.
Ah, enjoy May Day. No surprise that International ANSWER chose today to help coordinate the illegal immigrant rallies—a perfect choice for a Stalinist group. It will be interesting to see what impact today has on their cause, whether helpful or a backlash. Even more interesting will be how much does the media whitewash the coverage. With this issue dividing political parties, this may be the one issue that helps propel a meaningful third party in 2008’s election. Also, what better day to celebrate by reading the Carnival of the Capitalists?
And finally, I’m happy to see this article on Alejandro Escovedo. A new release coming out tomorrow, kicking hepatitis C…all great news. I just realized he is probably the musician I have seen play live the most. While I didn’t get to see him in the Nuns, I did get to see him perform in Rank and File (most memorable at The Antenna Club in Memphis), True Believers (too many times to count, but one electric unscheduled show at the Prophet Bar in Dallas has yet to be beat by anyone), and as a solo artist. Ah, another stroll down amnesia lane—things were a little different for me then.
Oh yeah, the Sharks won their series against Nashville. And there was much rejoicing.
Happy 90th birthday to Bernard Lewis! Fouad Ajami has a personal tribute to the prescient sage and writer. While I’ve only read a couple of Lewis’ books, they are essential in understanding much of what is happening in today’s news.
John Kenneth Galbraith died this weekend. A good summary of his contributions can be found here. I won’t speak ill of the dead, but I will of his ideas. The U.S. is still trying to recover from his agreement with Keynes' 19th-century idea that the government is responsible for overall economic performance, with the government able to remedy poor corporate results. Thanks for giving us the 1970’s. Not to mention being completely wrong on the USSR economy. Unfortunately he wasn't alone on any of those counts.
Jean-Francois Revel also died this weekend. Again, I’ve only read a little of his work but was impressed with his measured analysis and response on matters, especially his support of liberal economics. More about him can be found here.
Ah, enjoy May Day. No surprise that International ANSWER chose today to help coordinate the illegal immigrant rallies—a perfect choice for a Stalinist group. It will be interesting to see what impact today has on their cause, whether helpful or a backlash. Even more interesting will be how much does the media whitewash the coverage. With this issue dividing political parties, this may be the one issue that helps propel a meaningful third party in 2008’s election. Also, what better day to celebrate by reading the Carnival of the Capitalists?
And finally, I’m happy to see this article on Alejandro Escovedo. A new release coming out tomorrow, kicking hepatitis C…all great news. I just realized he is probably the musician I have seen play live the most. While I didn’t get to see him in the Nuns, I did get to see him perform in Rank and File (most memorable at The Antenna Club in Memphis), True Believers (too many times to count, but one electric unscheduled show at the Prophet Bar in Dallas has yet to be beat by anyone), and as a solo artist. Ah, another stroll down amnesia lane—things were a little different for me then.
Oh yeah, the Sharks won their series against Nashville. And there was much rejoicing.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home