Chrees' world

Sunday, May 07, 2006

What a weekend

Lots of source material for posting at a weblog encountered this weekend. I’ll skip the obligatory “Go Sharks” post (1-0 over Edmonton is too thin a margin to feel comfortable with) and go to the other things.

My wife had signed up for Dream Dinners on Saturday but didn’t feel up to standing on her feet for two hours, so I subbed for her. I’ll do a separate post on that. I’m not sure what got me more response from the women there—the fact that a guy was alone there, or once they find out I was filling in for my wife. If I only had something like this when I was single (that's a joke). In fact, I’d like to do a post on the weird things that have gotten responses from women that guys never would have thought of playing up. Call it my dating service tips, of limited and minimal value.

Two great bottles of wine this weekend. The 1990 Pichon-Longueville Baron, from Paulliac—a wonderful Bordeaux wine that used to have second tier status and prices, but no longer. Still a baby, even at 16 years of age, I’ll wait on the remaining two bottles I have for at least another 5-10 years. The second was from the Napa Valley—the 1997 Viader blend (mostly Cabernet Sauvignon, with a healthy portion of Cab Franc). This should be good for a few more years, but I’m glad I opened this now. And it has a special place in our cellar—we had this at the Ahwahnee Hotel when we were staying in Yosemite many moons ago. An outstanding dinner for us and a wonderful wine.

Today’s lunch was spent at Chuck E Cheese. Wow, what a moneymaker. I bow to the mouse, and not just Mickey (in this case). I understand the appeal for having birthday parties there—no setup, no cleanup, no muss, no fuss. And a lot of money changes hands from people that wouldn’t have been there otherwise. Like us. Although we ended up spending zero while there. Happy Birthday to the kids we celebrated with while there!

And then a trip to Payless Shoe Store. I want to do a separate post just on merchandising, and how long the lag used to be between movies and the products associated with them but there is no lag anymore. In fact, the merchandising starts before the movies are even released now.

OK, there is another 2 year old over at the house so chaos is in full bloom here. But I guess that’s supposed to be normal, right? Right? Help!!!

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home