From the Chrees’ World archives: June 1986
Here are some excerpts from Chrees’ World weblog entries 20 years ago this month:
Business
6/10: I’m still following the Microsoft IPO from earlier this year. I had a chance to get in on the investment, but I believe them to be a one-hit wonder—no staying power at all…
6/24: A lot of talk in Congress about getting a tax reform act signed later this year. I don’t see how lowering the top income tax bracket will help the economy…
Sports
6/15: The Red Sox really look good so far. Could this be the year they break the curse? Buckner looks like the most reliable player who could clinch it for them….
6/20: The World Cup quarter-finals are coming up later this week. I feel the hand of God directing me to watch something else on TV…
Entertainment
6/30: Much buzz about the upcoming national syndication of The Oprah Winfrey Show. I don’t see how she can ever knock off Phil Donahue, who I expect to be not just a daytime giant, but a media force for the next 20 years…
6/7: In movie theaters, Top Gun continues to shoot down the competition. The sad thing is that somewhere there is an 8-year old girl watching Maverick and thinking, “I’m going to have his baby one day.” Poor deluded girl…
Business
6/10: I’m still following the Microsoft IPO from earlier this year. I had a chance to get in on the investment, but I believe them to be a one-hit wonder—no staying power at all…
6/24: A lot of talk in Congress about getting a tax reform act signed later this year. I don’t see how lowering the top income tax bracket will help the economy…
Sports
6/15: The Red Sox really look good so far. Could this be the year they break the curse? Buckner looks like the most reliable player who could clinch it for them….
6/20: The World Cup quarter-finals are coming up later this week. I feel the hand of God directing me to watch something else on TV…
Entertainment
6/30: Much buzz about the upcoming national syndication of The Oprah Winfrey Show. I don’t see how she can ever knock off Phil Donahue, who I expect to be not just a daytime giant, but a media force for the next 20 years…
6/7: In movie theaters, Top Gun continues to shoot down the competition. The sad thing is that somewhere there is an 8-year old girl watching Maverick and thinking, “I’m going to have his baby one day.” Poor deluded girl…

1 Comments:
I love it! Guess that must have been one of those old-fashioned pen and paper weblogs, where you probably also wrote that whatever it was that those computer geeks were doing hooking up to phone lines, they'd get bored with it soon and go back to playing with their pet rocks!
By
Madame X, at 11:03 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home