Chrees' world

Friday, July 14, 2006

My wife’s grandfather died this morning. According to his directives, he had been taken off life-support earlier this week and was not receiving food or water. Having witnessed this, I can not imagine too many more horrific ways to die.

Something is seriously screwed up with our legal system and medical profession if this is the only way someone who can not live can choose to die. Watching the pain he went through (as well as the anguish and grief of his wife and children as he slowly died) spurred my wife and me to have a long discussion last night to make sure we were on the same page regarding what we did/did not want if we were ever in such a situation.

It’s an uncomfortable topic to bring up with your family, but I highly recommend you do. Also, make sure you have the appropriate legal forms in place that spells out as much as you can imagine to ensure your wishes are carried out. There are many resources available on the internet (just do a search on living will or advance directives), and make it a point to find out what your state allows.

Even with all that in place, I can’t believe this was the “best” method available legally and medically. I apologize for the rant, but I can not stress enough how important addressing this topic now can be for you.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home