The precursor to "1984"
At OpinionJournal.com, there is a review of Yevgeny Zamyatin's book We, which was written in 1921:
I've recently read a few books either surpressed or not published in the Soviet Union during the past century, and all have been entertaining reads. I'm hoping to have time to explore this book as well.
They (Communist censors) managed to suppress "We" inside the Soviet Union, but they weren't able to keep it from making a deep impression elsewhere: Two of the most iconic novels in the English language--"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley and "1984" by George Orwell--owe an enormous debt to Zamyatin.
That's because "We" is the ur-text of science-fiction dystopias: It described an Orwellian society almost three decades before Orwell invented his own version. Although the book has never been especially hard to find in the U.S.--editions have been in print since 1924--it will now become even more readily available, thanks to Natasha Randall's new translation, published this month by the Modern Library.
I've recently read a few books either surpressed or not published in the Soviet Union during the past century, and all have been entertaining reads. I'm hoping to have time to explore this book as well.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home