Literary wealth
While we're talking about books...
Last weekend's Wall Street Journal listed Ward Just's five favorite novels about the pursuit of wealth:
1. The Gilded Age by Mark Twain and Charles Dudley Warner (1873)
2. The Financier by Theodore Dreiser (Harper, 1912)
3. Something Happened by Joseph Heller (Knopf, 1974)
4. Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis (Harcourt, Brace, 1922)
5. American Pastoral by Philip Roth (Houghton Mifflin, 1997)
I've only read Babbitt, but hope to read the books by Twain and Heller (the latter especially because of the perfectly crafted Milo Minderbinder in Catch-22). Any other novels you liked about pursuing wealth?
One that immediately comes to mind that I really liked was God Is My Broker: A Monk-Tycoon Reveals the 7 1/2 Laws of Spiritual and Financial Growth by Christopher Buckley. With a conclusion like "The only way to get rich from get-rich books is to write one," I knew I would like it. Any others to add to the list?
Last weekend's Wall Street Journal listed Ward Just's five favorite novels about the pursuit of wealth:
1. The Gilded Age by Mark Twain and Charles Dudley Warner (1873)
2. The Financier by Theodore Dreiser (Harper, 1912)
3. Something Happened by Joseph Heller (Knopf, 1974)
4. Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis (Harcourt, Brace, 1922)
5. American Pastoral by Philip Roth (Houghton Mifflin, 1997)
I've only read Babbitt, but hope to read the books by Twain and Heller (the latter especially because of the perfectly crafted Milo Minderbinder in Catch-22). Any other novels you liked about pursuing wealth?
One that immediately comes to mind that I really liked was God Is My Broker: A Monk-Tycoon Reveals the 7 1/2 Laws of Spiritual and Financial Growth by Christopher Buckley. With a conclusion like "The only way to get rich from get-rich books is to write one," I knew I would like it. Any others to add to the list?

2 Comments:
1. How to Make Money in Stocks by William J. O’Neil
2. Secrets to Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets by Stan Weinstein
3. Taking Stock by Rabbi Benjamin Blech
By
Larry, at 5:32 AM
Thanks the the list, Chrees. I'll have to check these out.
By
Tiredbuthappy, at 9:08 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home