Chrees' world

Monday, September 18, 2006

Next at Book Cents: The Damnation of Theron Ware

It's mostly me talking to myself, but feel free to join in for the reading of The Damnation of Theron Ware by Harold Frederic at Book Cents. Until a couple of weeks ago I had not heard of the book, but since I've started looking into it I constantly hear it referred to as a forgotten masterpiece.

Here is a description of the book, taken from a wonderful study guide found at the University of South Florida:

A best-seller in the 1890s, The Damnation of Theron Ware, or Illumination as it is known in England, was heralded as “the great American novel,” for its portrayal of the people--their speech, customs, and beliefs--who inhabit the Mohawk Valley in upstate New York, and as “anti-American” in its subversion of the traditional American myths of the “American Adam” and the “self-made man.”

Rich in complexities, The Damnation of Theron Ware is the story of a Methodist minister who loses his faith when he makes the acquaintance of a Catholic priest, a post-Darwinian scientist, a New Woman, and a pragmatic con artist. In the end, critics are in disagreement about the extent of Theron Ware’s damnation or illumination and the degree to which his new friends are responsible for changes in his beliefs and behavior.

I'll post a schedule at the Book Cents site later this week, so find a copy and join the discussion!

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home