This and that. Mostly that.
Not much to relate, but that’s never stopped me from posting. I haven’t felt like going into details on personal details lately, so I’ll add a few notes here…
The company decided to offer supplemental disability insurance. Since it wasn’t from one particular company, there weren’t too many “Aflac!” comments. But after running the math plus realizing what a break they were giving us on the premiums, I signed up for it. Like most insurance, I hope I never need it but it’s nice to know it’s there.
We asked some close friends of ours to be guardians for our children in case anything happens to us. If they say yes, we’ll need to get new wills and maybe add some trusts for them. I haven’t worked out all the details of that yet, but I need to do it soon so it doesn’t get continually put off.
I hit the max withholding for FICA, which means my paycheck would have been going up by 6% of my payrate. But I decided to do what I did last year—increase my withholding to my 401(k) by 3%. We could really use the full amount in cash, but I figured if I do this for the next 10 years it gives us close to an additional $50,000 in 20 years (assuming 7-8% return annually). Not a bad payoff, having about an extra year’s worth of income available at that time.
My wife has started her business back up and seems to be doing very well. In addition, she’s starting a new possible source of income. Here’s hoping she’s successful so I can retire early!
Other than that, the three-month old is doing what looks like crunches as well as discovering his voice (my wife has nicknamed him “the seagull” for one noise he likes to make) and the 2 ½ year old has started pre-school. Oh, and he learned to belch whenever he wants to. No, I didn’t teach him that. It’s going to be a long fall…
The company decided to offer supplemental disability insurance. Since it wasn’t from one particular company, there weren’t too many “Aflac!” comments. But after running the math plus realizing what a break they were giving us on the premiums, I signed up for it. Like most insurance, I hope I never need it but it’s nice to know it’s there.
We asked some close friends of ours to be guardians for our children in case anything happens to us. If they say yes, we’ll need to get new wills and maybe add some trusts for them. I haven’t worked out all the details of that yet, but I need to do it soon so it doesn’t get continually put off.
I hit the max withholding for FICA, which means my paycheck would have been going up by 6% of my payrate. But I decided to do what I did last year—increase my withholding to my 401(k) by 3%. We could really use the full amount in cash, but I figured if I do this for the next 10 years it gives us close to an additional $50,000 in 20 years (assuming 7-8% return annually). Not a bad payoff, having about an extra year’s worth of income available at that time.
My wife has started her business back up and seems to be doing very well. In addition, she’s starting a new possible source of income. Here’s hoping she’s successful so I can retire early!
Other than that, the three-month old is doing what looks like crunches as well as discovering his voice (my wife has nicknamed him “the seagull” for one noise he likes to make) and the 2 ½ year old has started pre-school. Oh, and he learned to belch whenever he wants to. No, I didn’t teach him that. It’s going to be a long fall…

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home