Chrees' world

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The math castle


California can be a quirky place (that's a nice way of putting it). Here's something that is being developed where I live that will help maintain some of the quirk.

The American Institute of Mathematics, a nonprofit organization, was founded in 1994 by Silicon Valley businessmen John Fry and Steve Sorenson, longtime supporters of mathematical research. The goals of AIM are to expand the frontiers of mathematical knowledge through focused research projects, through sponsored conferences, and through the development of an on-line mathematics library.

In addition, AIM is interested in helping to preserve the history of mathematics through the acquisition and preservation of rare mathematical books and documents and in making these materials available to scholars of mathematical history.

A new facility is being constructed for AIM, and the picture above is the architect's drawing of it. The "castle" will be right next to the private golf course that Fry's owns (which they are lobbying to become a site for a PGA tour event...I will have to investigate turning our home into a bed & breakfast for a week if that every happens). A 3-D video of the proposed building can be viewed here.

I'm interested to see how this goes. AIM already has a strong presence in the local schools, and I'm hoping my kids have the same love of math that I did so they can take advantage of their programs.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home