A nice milestone
At the start of 2005, I had about $75,000 in my retirement accounts. Not bad, but not where I wanted to be at age 43. Especially when I’m work-averse and hate the thought of having to work through my late 60s.
I checked my balances today and the total of my retirement accounts (401K and IRAs) are now over $150,000. If only I could always double my balances every 22 months! There were a lot of special circumstances in this run-up: my company increased its match on 401K contributions, the market’s nice run, increasing my 401K withholding when circumstances allowed, and a nice chunk of change in a 401K bonus.
I’m just glad I was in a position to take advantage of all these things to help stimulate my retirement savings. It’s easy to get discouraged when your balances aren’t going up as fast as you would like, but occasionally a perfect convergence of forces can propel things upward.
I checked my balances today and the total of my retirement accounts (401K and IRAs) are now over $150,000. If only I could always double my balances every 22 months! There were a lot of special circumstances in this run-up: my company increased its match on 401K contributions, the market’s nice run, increasing my 401K withholding when circumstances allowed, and a nice chunk of change in a 401K bonus.
I’m just glad I was in a position to take advantage of all these things to help stimulate my retirement savings. It’s easy to get discouraged when your balances aren’t going up as fast as you would like, but occasionally a perfect convergence of forces can propel things upward.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home