Chrees' world

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

You can’t take it with you

But your heirs can really rake it in. Forbes.com has the top earning dead celebrities for the past year, and not too many surprises. Kurt Cobain at #1 was an initial shock until I remembered Courtney Love sold a share of the music catalog for a hefty price. I’m not sure if that was before or after a rehab visit. Anyway, here’s the list:

1. Kurt Cobain
Locked inside Courtney’s bank-deposit box
2. Elvis Presley
His earnings have not left the building
3. Charles M. Schulz
Yeah, yeah...worked for peanuts...
4. John Lennon
What money can buy, he can't use
5. Albert Einstein
Baby Einstein/Disney royalties have been very very good to Al
6. Andy Warhol
The previous generation’s P.T. Barnum is still raking it in
7. Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)
The estate needs an Audio-Telly-O-Tally-O-Count to keep up with the book sales
8. Ray Charles
It will be interesting to see how Ray fares after the movie and DVD sales fade
9. Marilyn Monroe
Her diamonds are still worth their weight in gold
10. Johnny Cash
Same thoughts as Ray Charles—I don’t see his family marketing him in the same manner as other musicians on the list
11. J.R.R. Tolkien
I hope the estate has Peter Jackson on their Christmas card list
12. George Harrison
His estate could buy Bangladesh
13. Bob Marley
Turning out more music after death than released while alive (see also Hendrix, Jimi)

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home