Adam Smith's take on Angelina Jolie
While I like P. J. O'Rourke's way in turning a phrase, I have not read any of his books. I guess I've just preferred him in small doses thus far. That might change soon, as he takes on Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations. From Amazon.com's book description:
Most provocative satirist? Hmmmm...I'm not sure about that but only a few others spring to mind that could compete. Anyway, it sounds like it might be a great airplane read. Coming in January.
As one of the first titles in Atlantic Monthly Press’ “Books That Changed the World” series, America’s most provocative satirist, P. J. O’Rourke, reads Adam Smith’s revolutionary The Wealth of Nations so you don’t have to. Recognized almost instantly on its publication in 1776 as the fundamental work of economics, The Wealth of Nations was also recognized as really long: the original edition totaled over nine hundred pages in two volumes—including the blockbuster sixty-seven-page “digression concerning the variations in the value of silver during the course of the last four centuries,” which, “to those uninterested in the historiography of currency supply, is like reading Modern Maturity in Urdu.” Although daunting, Smith’s tome is still essential to understanding such current hot-topics as outsourcing, trade imbalances, and Angelina Jolie. In this hilarious, approachable, and insightful examination of Smith and his groundbreaking work, P. J. puts his trademark wit to good use, and shows us why Smith is still relevant, why what seems obvious now was once revolutionary, and why the pursuit of self-interest is so important.
Most provocative satirist? Hmmmm...I'm not sure about that but only a few others spring to mind that could compete. Anyway, it sounds like it might be a great airplane read. Coming in January.

1 Comments:
I need to correct myself. I forgot I have read Parliament of Whores and enjoyed it. His conclusion is spot on: we are the whores.
By
Dwight, at 4:34 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home