Chrees' world

Monday, November 20, 2006

“Does it look like I give a damn?”

Yet another movie post…

So we were able to get away for our quarterly dinner and a movie without the kids this weekend and saw “Casino Royale.” If you have ever liked any Bond movie, I highly recommend it. The best writing in a long time and while it keeps many of the things that make Bond Bond, it does so without the self-parody it had descended into over the past 30 years. Also they have a meaty female role with an actress that can actually…well, act. We both liked Daniel Craig as the new Bond—I think my wife was partial since he and I look so much alike (at least the blond hair, blue eyes, two arms and two legs part). A little long and one too many ‘endings,’ but the best action movie I’ve seen in quite a while.

I won’t waste much more space on the movie, but it was interesting to see the bad guys as a loose alliance of bankers and other moneymen. Updating from the original Cold War-influenced antagonists to the reality of today left a few critics cold, but I thought it was well done. Everyone on the “bad” side had a different agenda, but the confluence of their actions amplified the potential negative results. (Note to scriptwriter: U.S. stock markets were not open on September 12, 2001)

And if you haven’t heard the post title line yet, it is James’ reply at one point as to whether he wanted his martini shaken or stirred. This is not your father’s Bond, and it bodes well for the franchise if they continue in this direction.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home