If you deny me, fie upon your law
While up with the baby early this morning I got to watch part of the film version of “The Merchant of Venice.” I guess because it was released shortly after our first child was born I didn’t hear very much about it. It is a play that I’ve never really warmed up to (Shakespeare has the uncanny ability to take me from the sublime to unsatisfied in the blink of an eye) since I read it in high school, but this is the best adaptation I have seen yet.
Best of all they did not bow to PC pressures or pander to anti-Semitism but rounded out the humanity of the characters. I want to see this gorgeous film again so I can focus all my attention without having to change diapers or feed the baby. And thank goodness Al Pacino has returned to acting the past few years—while it was enjoyable to watch his over-the-top performances, his control here was a joy to see. Highly recommended. The forced conversion scene at the end still troubles me quite a bit, though, but the director handled it deftly.
Other than that, I've got nothing today. Must be the lack of sleep...
Best of all they did not bow to PC pressures or pander to anti-Semitism but rounded out the humanity of the characters. I want to see this gorgeous film again so I can focus all my attention without having to change diapers or feed the baby. And thank goodness Al Pacino has returned to acting the past few years—while it was enjoyable to watch his over-the-top performances, his control here was a joy to see. Highly recommended. The forced conversion scene at the end still troubles me quite a bit, though, but the director handled it deftly.
Other than that, I've got nothing today. Must be the lack of sleep...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home