Chrees' world

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Man, what a dumb a**

I pass this on for those that trade. Thirty minutes before the close today I liked where one stock was on my watch list so I decided to purchase some. I did a rough calculation in my head, rounding off the share price and dividing it into the cash balance in my investment account. Unfortunately I rounded a little too much and my order was placed even though it took my cash account into negative territory. I had assumed the website would alert me before placing the order that this would happen, but apparently not.

Now I probably could have wired some money to cover it (huge fee), or call them and explain and see what the consequences are for having a negative balance (fees and interest, if I remember correctly from the legalese). Since the stock didn’t move much after I had bought it I decided to sell a little bit of what I just bought to put me in positive cash. Total cost—a transaction fee plus the difference between purchase and sell price, or around $11.

A small amount, but I feel silly for doing something that could have been easily avoided. And I wanted to pass it on as a cautionary tale to those that assume your trader’s website or software will always catch such an occurrence.

|

2 Comments:

  • Hmmm. An automated device that would prevent them from having to charge you fees ...

    By Blogger The Sarcasticynic, at 5:00 AM  

  • Actually much worse than that. I got an nice email (form letter) saying basically I can't trade in that account unless I do it in person. I'll call them on Monday and see if I can't get that changed since I remediated it immediately. If not, they have lost my business (and all the transaction fees) forever.

    By Blogger Dwight, at 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home