Chrees' world

Monday, December 18, 2006

Another sad commentary for what passes as celebrity today

His cell phone rings, and he snaps into business mode. "How much am I getting?" he says. He pauses, then says, incredulous, "$10,000 and one PlayStation 3?" He turns the cell to his face so he can talk right into the mouthpiece without having to hear. "Tell that nigga," he snarls, "I want three PlayStation 3s and $15,000, or fuck off." He angrily snaps the phone shut. But Snoop's mood changes quickly when a man comes in with a beautiful brunette on each arm. "Snoop," he says, "I want you to meet these two fifteen-year-old girls." Snoop immediately breaks into song. "I don't see nuttin' wrong," he sings like R. Kelly, "with a little bump n' grind . . ." and everyone laughs again.

Not that long ago the Wall Street Journal had a cover article on Calvin Broadus’ (Snoop Dogg) ability to reinvent himself. Whether the previous gangsta rap persona was real or not, he now shows up in mainstream ads for Chrysler and cheesy movie roles. I wonder what Lee Iacocca would think if he were to read the recent Rolling Stone cover article:

"I was flexin' my pimp muscle and lettin' people see how real pimps do it," he says. "If you really a pimp, you should be able to get two bitches to walk on a leash with you down the red carpet and be yo ho's for the night. And when I did it, it really was pimpin'." I had thought it was all for show, metaphorical pimpin', but Snoop says it really was pimpin' with so much feeling, I can't help but think that he was a professional pimp. Indeed, for two years, he was. "I wouldn't even say a real pimp," he says. "I'd just say I had it like that. See, that shit was my natural calling and once I got involved with it, it became fun. It was like shootin' layups for me. I was makin' 'em every time. 'Cause pimpin' ain't a job, it's a sport. I had a bitch on every exit from the 10 freeway to the 101 freeway, 'cause bitches would recruit for me.

So I guess it wasn’t just “research” for a movie role. I rarely am amazed at the mainstreaming of anything, and more power to him if people are willing to overlook his misogyny and violence to shovel money his way. The amusing part to me was the fawning nature of the article, yet a truly revolting picture shows through at every turn.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home