Chrees' world

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Security, that's all I want from you

Talkin' bout security, yeah, yeah
And a little love that'll be true
Right now

(Etta James)

I’ve spent the better part of this week in San Francisco being deposed or prepped for the deposition. The things that struck me, besides the tedium of the deposition itself, was the security in the office building. Since 9/11 it has been standard practice at the San Francisco office buildings I’ve visited to have to check in at the front desk before they let you proceed to the elevators. The office building I visited this week had a combination of several security steps I’ve seen individually elsewhere, including checking in at the front desk, comparing to the company’s visitor log, security having to swipe a card key and punch the elevator floor for me, and a few other procedures. I was a little taken aback at the heightened level of security present.

Of course the physical probing was just a warm-up for the mental prodding I got from the lawyers (nothing was found in either approach). On to other types of security…

I’m increasingly concerned about my mother-in-law. Her husband had done a wonderful job of providing financial security, but I’m watching him take on debt (after getting close to having no debt, mortgage or credit card) while trying to start a new business and also contributing lavishly to an organization he belongs to. I’m crossing my fingers that the business succeeds. I watched my father lose almost everything in the early 1980’s when his partnership was bought out—it had been worth a lot more for a long time but had to be put on the market in a fire sale if the partners were going to realize anything. I don’t wish having to start over in your 50’s or 60’s on anyone. Thank goodness my parents were able to make a decent go of it—there is something about that generation that experienced both the Depression and World War II.

Compounding my concern about my mother-in-law is her husband’s health. While he looks fine on the outside, recent doctors’ visits don’t bode well for long-term health unless he changes certain habits (which I know he won’t do). Oh well…some things you can do for others, and other things you can’t.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home